Under the direction of Dr. Zhiping Pang (Principal Investigator) the Temporary Research Assistant (TRA) will be responsible for molecular cloning, cell culture, high throughput imaging, and data analysis. The applicant should have a strong background in neuroscience and/or cell biology and be able to perform molecular, cellular and imaging experiments. Applicants must be able to conduct independent experiments and prepare written and oral reports.
As part of their career development to transition to the next phase of their career, the TRA will be trained in improving their experimental design skills and their oral and written presentation skills. Multiple resources for career development to aid with these requirements will be provided by the PI.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Performing molecular cloning.
- Perform mammalian cell culture including isolation and expansion of cells from bot murine and human tissues; perform
cell survival assays; and transfection of mammalian cells.
- Assist in maintaining laboratory instrumentation such as centrifuges, electrophoresis and confocal microscopes.
- May assist in the establishment of performance standards, as well as in the selection of research methodologies and instrumentation, and coordination of instrumentation and experimental approaches in support of CHI research.
- Assists in the conducting a continuous program of research and development. May evaluate existing procedures and
proposes modifications or changes in order to keep the methodology and procedures current.
- May assist with the instructing and training of students, fellows, technicians and laboratory assistants as required.
- Assist the Principal Investigator with the preparation of grant applications as requested.
- Keep clear and detailed records of procedures and experiments in accordance with laboratory guidelines, maintain data in shared and readily accessible locations, present data to the PI and other lab members.
- Submits purchase recommendations, to his/her supervisor, of equipment and supplies.
- Must work collaboratively and independently with laboratories and researchers within CHI and Rutgers.
- Attends and actively participate in both weekly and monthly group research meetings, discussions and journal clubs.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.