Title: Medical Assistant – Infectious Disease
Department Org: OP-Clinic-Infectious Disease – 109790
Employee Classification: B5 – Unclass Full Time AFSCME HSC
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME HSC
Primary Location: Health Science Campus Hospital
Start Time: 8:30am End Time: 5:00pm
Posted Salary: $18.06-$20.61
On Call: False
The Credentialed Medical Assistant provides individualized, direct patient care of patients under the supervision of a physician. The Medical Assistant assists in the implementation of the delivery of health care services, assists fellow employees in providing the highest quality personalized patient care, and maintains a positive work relationship with the health care team. Administer medications only under the direction, supervision and control of the physician. Electronic Medical Record (EMR) order entry for medication, laboratory or radiology may be completed when physician delegated.
The ages of patients served spans the spectrum of the life cycle. Care will be directed at taking vital signs, assisting patients to room, and assisting the nurses, physicians, students and residents in the clinical area, recognizing that every age group has unique developmental characteristics influencing the approach that should be utilized in caring for these patients.
1. Medical Assisting Diploma, Degree, or Certificate is required. May consider other medical certificates in a related field if combined with a CMA/RMA certification.
2. Current CMA/RMA certification
3. American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR certification is required for MAs. Will accept American Red Cross “Adult & Pediatric CPR” at time of hire only. Certification must be active at time of hire and maintained throughout employment in position.
4. American Heart Association Health Care Provider BLS certification is required. Will accept American Red Cross “CPR for Professional Rescuers” at time of hire only. Certification must be active at time of hire and maintained throughout employment in position.
5. Previous Ambulatory Care medical assisting or nursing experience is preferred.
6. Possesses knowledge and skills in techniques of good patient care and maintains competency through continuing education.
7. Exhibits accuracy, integrity, and flexibility to work multiple outpatient areas.
8. Motivated to plan and organize work, and to work without supervision.
9. Is tactful and courteous in dealing with patients and visitors. Able to maintain an effective working relationships with personnel and the medical staff.
10. Required to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must be punctual and dependable.
11. Successfully completes clinic specific competencies.
12. Adheres to UTMC Customer Service & iCare values.
13. Previous Electronic Medical Records experience preferred.
14. Requires the ability to operate various types of office equipment, including but not limited to: Personal computer, fax machines, copiers, and telephones.
Communication and other skills:
Able to document care legibly in hand written text.
Able to navigate through the EMR and record required data accurately and efficiently.
Able to communicate and collaborate with team members including but not limited to physicians, nurses, managers, other MAs and other team members.
Conditions of Employment:
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation.
The University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, dual-career professionals and covered veterans.
The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.
Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo.