The Licensed Practical Nurse, in collaboration with physicians, nursing staff, and other members of the healthcare team, oversees, coordinates, and provides focused, episodic care to Rutgers Health patients. This care encompasses health promotion, health maintenance, or management of health-related problems that is delivered in face-to-face or telephone encounters.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding and allay apprehension.
- Be able to assist with patients who are medically complex and/or have sensitive medical or social issues.
- Contacts pharmacy for prescription renewals for patients.
- Documents all patient correspondence and correspondence with other pertinent health care providers.
- Administers prescribed medications, teaches patients how to administer injectable medication within the New Jersey Board of Nursing scope of practice.
- Assist in the treatment and examination of patient.
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies supervisor or Physician of patient’s condition and reactions to drugs, treatment and significant incidents.
- Fills out school forms, DCP&P forms, Social Security Forms, writes letters, reviews orders from home care/nursing agencies with physician.