Title: Lab Tech I
Department Org: Lab-Central Office – 109390
Employee Classification: B6 – Unclass Part Time AFSCME HSC
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME HSC
Primary Location: Health Science Campus Hospital
Start Time: 0530 End Time: 1400
On Call: True
Greets patients and performs phlebotomy necessary for laboratory testing. Performs registration and login functions. Under guidance of supervisor or tech, processes and aliquots specimens, assists in preparing specimens for send-out. Performs phlebotomy on both inpatients and outpatients. Answers phones, takes messages and transfers calls appropriately. Registers and logs in specimens from other facilities. Sorts and distributes specimens to the appropriate clinical departments.
1. High School diploma, GED or equivalent
2. Documentation of at least one of the following:
• Medical Assisting Diploma, Degree, or Current CMA/RMA certification Phlebotomy Technician Certificate – Must have completed a phlebotomy internship.
• PBT (ASCP) Certification – Must have completed a phlebotomy internship.
• Veterinary Technician Certification
• Emergency Medical Technician
• One-year full time experience in phlebotomy.
3. Must have and maintain a valid Ohio driver’s license and be insurable under The University of Toledo driver and insurance policy.
4. Employees hired after 1/31/2022 must have and maintain a clean FBI/BCI Check; required by end of probationary period and every year thereafter
5. Effective communication skills
6. Physical requirements:
• visual acuity of 20/20 or corrected to 20/20 including color vision when applicable
• ability to hear (with or without aides)
• ability to orally communicate
• good manual dexterity
• ability to push, pull, roll, and transfer/lift 50 pounds occasionally
• ability to stand, walk frequently
• ability to bend, reach, stoop, kneel frequently
• ability to perform CPR (if a required for position)
• must be able to drive a motor vehicle 24/7 including inclement weather.
Conditions of Employment:
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation.
The University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, dual-career professionals and covered veterans.
The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.
Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo.