Title: Basic Outpatient Presvc Spec
Department Org: Rehab Svcs Admin – 109310
Employee Classification: B1 – Classif’d Full Time AFSCME HSC
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME HSC
Primary Location: Health Science Campus Hospital
Start Time: 8:30am End Time: 5:00pm
Posted Salary: Starting hourly wage is $15.56
On Call: False
The Basic Outpatient Preservice Specialist performs all outpatient scheduling, pre-registration and insurance verification for non-invasive, routine care services. Performs complete and accurate patient appointment scheduling, account pre-registration and insurance verification functions either via electronic media collection or telephonic interview methods; works to provide patient information which maximizes reimbursement, achieves collection ratios, meets accounts receivable (AR) goals, and provides timely and through information to all other providers and users of patient data. Verifies insurance requirements, obtains and understands insurance benefits. Requests any non-covered patient collectibles such as coinsurance, deductibles, and copayments prior to service; Ensures that patients meet financial requirements; Provides general information to hospital users, patients and families; Communicates effectively to service delivery areas to maximize patient flow and customer service outcomes both internally and externally.
1. High school graduate or equivalent required.
2. Recent 2 years’ experience in hospital or physician office performing primary duty as one of the following: Registration Specialist and/or call center operator, or utilize physician scheduling software on a daily basis.
3. Knowledge of medical terminology required.
4. Knowledge of patient billing, collection policies & procedures, guidelines and/or standards
5. Must have working knowledge to operate a computer in a windows based environment utilizing various software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook to produce and manage essential reports and correspondence. Must be able to utilize computer keyboard proficiently.
6. Demonstrates the ability to work with minimum supervision, ability to apply understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
7. Demonstrates ability to develop and maintain professional service oriented working relationships with patients, families, physicians, nurses, co-workers, supervisors and others. Ability to provide excellence customer satisfaction when presenting information and respond to questions from staff, patient and the general public. Ability to deal with confrontation and stressful working environment while maintaining excellence in customer service.
8. Demonstrates ability to analyze data, calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, percentages, add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Applicants may be tested.
Conditions of Employment:
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation.
The University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, dual-career professionals and covered veterans.
The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.
Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo.